8.14.2012

Felt Banner


For my party, I wanted some personal touches that reflect my personality to be in the decor.  I decided to sew a felt banner to drape around the dining room and add some color.

My colors revolved around citrus tones against a gray backdrop, I just love gray.  So I chose a gray felt and happened to find these pre-cut quilting triangles and hexagons in the clearance section at Joanns.  I have been obsessing over hexagons lately, loving the structured shapes and working with them.  
       

So I basically just laid the shapes onto the fabric and cut around it with pinking shears.  I then sewed the quilted pieces to the felt.  This may sound time consuming, but it was pretty quick with the straight lines and not being extremely precise with it.
For some of the banners I had completely cut out the felt shape as well, so I had to connect them somehow.  I found fabric trim in accent colors in the clearance section as well and just punched holes in the corners with a crop-a-dile, then threaded the trim through.  Some of the other banners I cut out together so I linked the pieces with decorative brads.  It worked.

I draped the banners around the main dining area and for decorative accents. 
I also used it as part of the decorative backdrop in the photo booth.
Props via ohhappyday {cute blog}
I love the look & had fun putting it together!  These can easily be reused for other parties or just for room decorations.  They would actually be cute in a baby or kid's room.  I am thinking of making them to sell in the future....we'll see!  

Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment