4.24.2012

Sewing on Paper


  Sewing is another favorite hobby of mine, although I am no expert, I have fun trying to hack away at patterns.  I have admired the look of sewing on paper, whether it be on scrapbook layouts or cards for quite some time and it has been on my {scrapbook bucket list}.  

  I have been hesitant to use my good sewing machine, and have looked into some of the mini versions, but have yet to make a purchase.  

  I needed to make a {thinking of you} card that was bright & cheerful.  I chose some patterned paper strips to embellish with and was inspired to sew the pieces on for the aesthetic look of the stitches.  

  
  I practiced first on a spare piece of the same patterned paper and cardstock combination.  After reading various tips online, I used an older, duller small needle in my sewing machine.  I set the sewing machine settings to a wider stitch so that it would be more visible and actually attach the pieces as well.  I had the perfect matching color thread all ready set up on a bobbin, so it worked out nice.


  The thinner pieces I sewed on both edges on top of the other two pieces.  


  
  I adhered the ends of the thread to the back of the layer with my tape runner and just trimmed the excess paper down until it was flush with the edge of cardstock.  



  I love the finished look and will be doing this more frequently now!
















Supplies: Stamps: Papertrey Ink {Everyday Button Bits}; Patterned Paper: Basic Grey {Romani}, Galloping Horse Productions {Pink Floral}; Cardstock: Papertrey Ink {Hawaiian Shores & White}; Felt: Papertrey Ink {Aqua Mist & Harvest Gold}, Wollfilz {Coral}; Thread: Gutermann