4.01.2012

Hybrid Hobbies

 
Reading plays a significant role in my everyday life. When I am in the midst of a book I find myself to be much more in tune with my thoughts, feelings, words, expression, & creativity. I also think I am more effective to those around me, because when I have a few moments to get lost in a different story I think I am better at dealing with real life.
 For me, reading is an escape and a form of entertainment, as well as a way to learn, broaden my horizons, put myself in others’ shoes, and a way to improve vocabulary!
As a kid I enjoyed the Amelia Bedelia series (& can relate!), as well as Beverly Cleary & Shel Silverstein. As I got older I loved the Goosebumps series and Where the Red Fern Grows. I started reading more romance novels in my teens, which led me to Nicholas Sparks & Jodi Picoult. In the past few years I’ve found a love for fantasy and mystery with Charlaine Harris and JD Robb. I’ve also become a Twi-hard and now a fan of the Hunger Games series. I find I just want to know what all the fuss is about when people acclaim books.
 
With this love, I keep coming back to the idea of wanting to track and record my reading. Sometimes I comment on it in my personal journal, but I’ve wanted to incorporate it into my scrapbooking hobby as well. I decided I would write almost little *book reviews*, but not really literary reviews, as much as how I felt about the book and for what reasons. I thought about doing a separate smash book, but I decided I would like to slip these pages right into my chronological scrapbooks, so I chose a 6x12 format.
I’ve come up with a printable form (2 on 1 letter size page) to keep it easy and quick to record my book reviews and keep it current with my scrapping.
I drafted up four different “forms” that I can print in various colors, fonts & on different paper.  I refer to the forms in different categories: Basic Book review, Character Strong review, Book Series review and Movie Comparison review.  

 
For this layout, I chose the Twilight series and did a Book Series review. I didn't have all the books handy, so I used a photo from the net, but instax and instagram work great for this.
A while back I had purchased the DCWV stack entitled "Immortal love" that looks a lot like the covers of the Twilight book series. So I used some of those elements. This project is a fun way to use supplies you would not normally have use for and just over-embellish because you want to!

  I also incorporated some hidden journaling with a piece of cardstock attached with a brad that can slide out from the side of the layout.  Sometimes the feelings I have towards a book or the feelings it drums up for me are too personal to have available for any eyes to read.

  Finally, I stuck it into an American Crafts 6x12 page protector & can slide it into the appropriate time period in my chronological scrapbooks.  

  Thanks for checking it out, hope you can make up some Book Review layouts too!


No comments:

Post a Comment